Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pancake Perfection


I blogged this recipe over at my Baking The World A Better Place blog in 2011 but I think it deserves a special place over here. Pancake perfection.

I grew up thinking pancakes came from a box, JUST ADD WATER, the box screamed and so we did. As I grew up I realized that box pancakes were better with milk. Then I found out that adding a little baking powder made them better, and then a realization.... why the heck am I not just making homemade pancakes?

Now, while better than box pancakes, a lot of the homemade pancake recipes I was trying were still mediocre and not what I was hoping for. I really wanted thepan-cake... something as tender and fluffy as cake, but made quicker. Then one weekend I stayed with my grandparents and grandpa made us pancakes. Now these were pancakes, and they were closer to my dream pancake than ever before. Recipe in hand, I went home to experiment.

This pancake recipe was one of the first I ever became obsessed with. Hubby and I ate pancakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So many pancakes that I actually became sick of maple syrup (the horror!).

So here is my pancake recipe, the one that has grazed many restaurant menus and countless church and other charity breakfasts. And this is the first time that I have ever shared it.

1 1/3 c sour milk
2 eggs
1/4 c canola oil
1-2 bananas, mashed

2 1/4 c pastry flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/4 t kosher salt

Sour your milk by adding a good splash of vinegar to it. The longer you let it sit the better your pancakes are, so I let it go for a good 15 mins. Add your eggs, oil and mashed banana.

After your pan is heated with a touch of oil in it, mix your dry ingredients into the sour milk mix. Use a whisk and mix as quickly as you can, the batter will be lumpy and thick.


Now the pastry flour is what makes these incredibly light, but all purpose is okay in a jam. Drop the flour to 2 cups. The mashed fruit makes the pancakes so tender they're almost hard to flip, the kids can cut them with a plastic fork and they literally melt in your mouth. These are no chewing required kind of pancakes.

Enjoy.


*You can omit the banana and substitute applesauce or any other mashed soft fruit. Whole wheat pastry flour will also add a wonderfully nutty flavour to these Saturday morning favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment