Monday, September 10, 2012

World's Best Granola Bars



Okay, okay I know. Everyone says they make the world's best... something. But I mean it. If you're looking for healthy school snack options or even grown-up snack options I dare you to find a better granola bar recipe.

The secret? It's granola. You don't make these bars with raw oats, you either use a ready-made granola product (I like Rogers brand, inexpensive and delicious) or make your own granola ahead of time. There's a great granola recipe at the fab Christine Reid's photo blog (yeah, she takes incredible pictures, is a runner and cooks too... The kind of girl you could love to hate.)

750 g granola
3 eggs
2 bananas
1 tsp agave nectar (honey or pure maple syrup can substitute)
2 1/2 cups add-ins ~ On the regular I use a mixture of dried blueberries, coconut, dried cranberries, banana chips (crushed), raisins, almonds and mini chocolate chips. Whatever flavour floats your boat.

Mix well. I'm lazy, I like my Kitchen-Aid mixer but it's easy enough to mix by hand.

Press firmly into 2 8x8" pans or 1 half-sheet pan (13x18") and bake at 300 for 25 mins. If desired, spread a thin layer of jam over your granola bars at 20 mins and put back in the oven for the final 5 mins.

Cool and cut into bars. A half-sheet pan makes 48 good sized bars. Put them in the freezer and you've got ready to go snacks at any time.

**NOTE: If you don't have a half-sheet pan, I'd get one. They are by far the kitchen tool I use the most. If you're in the KW area you can get 2 pans for $20 in the flea market section of the St. Jacobs farmers market. A GREAT deal. If not, hit up a restaurant supply store in your town. You'll never use those teeny cookie sheets again. They even fit in most apartment sized stoves.**

Enjoy those granola bars and pop back to tell me if they lasted long enough to make it to your freezer!


No comments:

Post a Comment